What is Zolpidem 5mg?
Zolpidem is a sleeping pill, and it is used to treat insomnia, and it helps you fall asleep more quickly and reduces mid-night awakening. It is a prescription medicine that belongs to the group of medicine called sedative-hypnotics. It is FDA-approved medicine, and as per the guidelines, it should be taken for three to four weeks.
How Zolpidem 5mg works?
Zolpidem 5mg works by relaxing the muscles, and at the same time, it induces a soothing effect on the mind and decreases sleep onset time to fifteen minutes; as a result, it helps you fall asleep as soon as you hit the sack. Zolpidem helps people sleep by enhancing the effect of GABA, a chemical transmitter in the brain; however, the chemical structure is different from benzodiazepine.
What are some side effects of Zolpidem 5mg?
Zolpidem may have some side effects, which will wash off in a couple of days. Here are some common adverse effects that may occur as follows:
- Daytime insomnolence
In case of side effects worsen, seek immediate medical attention seek immediate attention
Zolpidem may cause a severe allergic reaction and stop, t if you see any symptoms, including swelling on your face, lips, and throat.
In addition, if you see any severe side effects, including
- Anxiety, aggression
- Risk-taking behavior
- No fear of danger and thought
- Feeling that you might pass out
What is some drug interaction of Zolpidem?
Medicines may interact with Zolpidem and may either decrease its effects and increase the risk for serious side effects or reduce the drug’s effectiveness. Here are common drug interactions as follows:
Sodium Oxybate interacts with Zolpidem; certain medications affect the removal of Ambien. Certain Antibiotics and Antifungal creams also affect ambient mode and function, and it may interfere with the effectiveness of the drug.
Azole antifungals and Antibiotics may interact with the zolpidem 5mg. They may have a negative impact on your health. and St. John Wort (an herbal supplement).
Avoid taking tricyclic antidepressants and muscle relaxants, OR inform your doctor as he will make the adjustments.
Who cant take Zolpidem 5mg?
Zolpidem can be taken by most adults struggling with insomnia aged 18 and above; On the other hand, it may not be safe and suitable for everyone; in addition, to make sure Zolpidem is safe for you, inform your doctor if you:
- Have/ had an allergic reaction to Zolpidem or any other medicine of the same class OR any other medication in the past
- If you have a kidney or liver problem
- If you are struggling with muscles condition, myasthenia Gravis
- If you have sleep apnea or breathing problems
- Struggling with mood disorders or any mental health-related issue
- If you have a family history o alcohol and drug abuse
- If you are trying to get pregnant or you are pregnant
- If you breastfeed your baby
In addition, if you have any other condition, it is important to inform your doctor about it as it will help him make some good changes to tackle the condition without any health risks.
How to take Zolpidem 5mg?
- Zolpidem 5mg is a low-dose variant, typically prescribed when you start. It is recommended for older patients and individuals with renal and hepatic problems.
- Please read the instruction and leaflet of the pack as this will help you to take it accurately and as advised.
- Swallow the tablet whole with a drink of water
- Do not crush, chew or break the tablet and take it as a whole.
- Follow your doctor’s advice, and take the drug for two to three weeks; taking it for an extended period may result in intolerance and rebound effects.
Zolpidem 5mg is effective and the first line of treatment for managing mild to moderate insomnia. It is indicated for short-term use, and long-term use may result in addiction, and the drug’s rebound effect is also seen among its users.